Admission to UNLV MS and Ph.D. Degrees in Geoscience We admit students during both Fall and Spring semesters. For preferential consideration, please submit application materials (as follow) for Fall admission by February 1st; for Spring admission by October 1st. However, please send materials early as admission decisions are made shortly after the indicated dates, and an application that is missing a component risks being rejected. Exceptional students are encouraged to submit materials early as you may qualify for special assistantships that are determined before the application deadline.
1. A Bachelor’s or MS degree in Geoscience, or an appropriate related field.
2. A minimum overall grade point average of 3.0. In rare cases, a student with a GPA less than 3.0 may be admitted.
3. Satisfactory scores on the general Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Minimum Verbal GRE score: 150 Minimum Quantitative score: 151.
4. It is not required, but strongly encouraged, that you complete a FAFSA application and indicate that you want the results sent to UNLV as the university has scholarship money that is awarded to incoming students that is based on your GPA and your financial need. Because financial need is determined by your FAFSA scores, you can only receive these funds if you have a FAFSA report on file at UNLV.
5. For international applicants whose native language is not English, a proof of English proficiency is required. Please check the requirements here: https://www.unlv.edu/graduatecollege/english-proficiency This opportunity is only available for U.S. citizens.
To apply, please follow the instructions regarding admission provided on the Graduate College website: https://www.unlv.edu/graduatecollege
Please arrange three (3) letters of recommendation from individuals competent to comment on your promise as a graduate student. You can input their names and email addresses in the on-line Graduate Rebel Gateway system and the system will automatically trigger an email to ask them to complete the reference letter. However, because your professor/supervisor may be busy or forget about it, please do check with them to make sure they have sent out the reference letter.
Please load the following items directly to the Rebel Gateway system when you are completing the online application:
1. A Statement of Purpose: This is a 1-2 page essay describing your reasons for considering graduate study, your goals after completion of the graduate degree, your specific area(s) and potential advisor(s) of interest;
2. GRE test scores. Our institution code is 4861. The department number is 0504 (you can provide an unofficial one with the application if you have sent one to the school);
3. A brief, one-page (maximum two-page) CV containing your address and contact information.
4. A copy of your college transcripts (it can be an unofficial one). You are required to send an official transcript to the graduate college, but the department will review your files with your unofficial transcript).
All application materials are available on-line. Once you have completed each of the above steps, your application is complete! You do not need to send a separate application to the Geoscience Department or College of Sciences. Assistantships, Fellowships and Scholarships are automatically considered; you do not need to send a separate application.