What should I do first?
We kindly ask you to call or email the department to see what days and times are available.
Tuesday 3:00 pm – 5:00 pm
Thursday 3:00 pm – 4:30 pm
Note that we will not be accepting anymore walk ins after 4:45 pm on Mondays.
I have called! Now what?
The place to go first is LFG 104; after that you will be directed to the location where the Rock ID will be examined.
Where can I park?
You have three options:
- The closest parking lot to our building available for visitors are the meters in next to the Lied Library (Fees are $1/hour).
- The second closest parking lot to our building is the Cottage Grove Parking Garage (4 minute walk) where parking passes are required. Temporary permits can be purchased through the Parking & Transportation Services located in the Claude I. Howard Building or online at https://unlv.thepermitstore.com/
- Lot S is the only free parking lot on campus located at the corner of Harmon and Swenson. Unfortunately it is about 1 mile away from our building (About a 13 minute walk)
– Rock IDs are visual inspections
– The Geoscience Department does not keep any rocks or minerals.
– The Geoscience Department at the University of Nevada Las Vegas does not buy the minerals or rocks.
– The Department of Geoscience does not give monetary value to the rocks and minerals brought in.